Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Long time, no blog!

Well, let's see... Last posted an entry in August 2010 followed by one in March 2011. That sounds about standard. So I guess it's time for my frequent "I'm going to do better at posting a blog entry" declaration. Perhaps I'll stick with it this time, perhaps not? I guess I'll go for a quick recap of the last 8 months.

Alex started playing soccer. He's a typical 3 year old, more interested in running around and chasing than anything else. He seems disinterested, but he says he likes it and wants to keep playing, so he'll start back up here in a few weeks. Brady had another really good soccer season and is really getting into the sport. He's got a lot of hustle, that's for sure!

After soccer ended, Brady started his first season of football. He was nervous, but he picked it up very quickly. He used his best skill set: running and speed. He had several long runs and most of them went for long touchdowns. He's quite good at cutting to hit gaps and then exploding through them. He's very good on offense, but his defense needs a little work. :)

Melanie did some more triathlons and had fun. Like me, she gets into a good rhythm with working out, then it all gets derailed as she gets busy with work. Not to mention we're also quite busy with the boys' sports, too. Brady did his triathlon in October, too. He did awesome and went so much faster than he did last year. He's swimming sans life vest now, and it won't be long until he loses the training wheels on the bike. He loves that fact he can go faster without them!

Probably the most exciting news comes from the job front. Once again, it's that time of year when I am applying for assistant professor faculty positions. I had two offers this year from two schools that I really liked, and they were in really great areas to raise our family. I am excited to say that I accepted an offer from California Lutheran University in Thousand Oaks, CA. Melanie, Brady, Alex, and I will be moving there in August. We're going to miss Ft. Worth and Texas quite a bit, but we're so excited to start this new chapter in our lives. From a selfish perspective, I'm so excited to start my new job. The faculty and adminstration have been great, all the students I've met have been great, and it's in such a nice area. I get to teach some really exciting classes and local research opportunities with lizards are abundant. I'm really looking forward to it. Now, if I can just get someone to buy my house before we move...

Other than that, I've just been doing some winter field work with one of our grad students. It's been a lot of fun, but I feel very behind in office work. Time to get crackin' on that.

Once again, I'm pledging to be more frequent with pretty meaningless updates, so stay tuned friends and family.

No comments: